Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Michael Shorde's The Lost Book - Part Five


As I moved deeper into the cave, the light grew brighter, an unnatural pinkish glow. I discovered a cave to my right, but did not enter for David’s explicit instructions said to avoid the third cavern on the left. As I considered this, a low growl from behind caused me to whirl around to face whatever thing had crept up behind me.
The thing was about half my height and covered with gray, scaly skin. In the center of its face was a large singular eye, just above a mouth exposing pointed teeth of all sizes.  A low guttural growl emitted from its throat as it bared more teeth. I took a few steps back and it followed. I determined that it was attempting to chase me into the cave, or it would have surely attacked me by now.
The book is your power…
I held the book out in front of me, and the thing instantly cowered at the sight of it. “What is wrong, you ghastly thing? You don’t like the book?” I held it facing the atrocious being, and it cringed, trying to hide its face. “Look at me now! Look!”
As it looked, a beam of yellow light shot forth, clothing it in a bright yellow aura. It screeched and tried to run; nonetheless, it was too late. The light absorbed what flesh there was left on the thing, and its bones fell to the ground. The book was warm, nearly hot, yet I was able to hold it. David was right – the book was my power. Tendrils of steam rose up from the bones as I walked farther into the cavern.
The walls began to change color, and the deeper I explore, gray rock had turned into a fleshy pink that undulated and gave off a foul stench. It was more of a throat, a throat to the other Kingdom where David awaited me.
There were things stuck to the sides of the walls as in a spider’s web. These were things I had never seen before, except a one – eyed creature that had managed to find itself trapped. A spider abruptly scurried down and attached itself to the thing, and I heard a sickening sucking sound. The skin of the creature constricted, and its eye burst from its socket. The spider immediately went to the socket and began to suck up the fluid. I could take no more, and I wondered how David had survived the horrors. It must have been the acceptance he spoke of, pure acceptance. I decided I would accept it, too. I would keep my sanity.
I stood steadfastly and took in my surroundings – I purposely stared at the atrocities pinned against the pink surface of these walls – they were no longer hideous. They were simply beings from another place, and my mind, being intelligent as it is, simply accepted all that I saw. I felt strength grow within me, a more powerful me, and I wondered; this must be what David did to keep his sanity. He always did have an open mind, and now it may have saved his life. And if he had not allowed insanity to corrupt his mind, then I, too, can protect myself the same way. These were living, breathing (though I knew not about living and breathing – it was purely conjuncture at this point, but I would treat it as so). These…things, freaks would die no matter what it took.
I realized that it did not take a very strong mind to challenge what lie ahead, only a mind open to such things. I actually envied David for having glanced at these things and retained some kind of sanity. He had even seen another dimension of unthinkable creatures and survived. But now he needed help. Cthulhu must be powerful, indeed – and I was close to meeting this creature face to face.













No comments:

Post a Comment