Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Michael Shorde's The Lost Book - Part Four

The spider came close to the counter and stopped. At this point I could not see it, yet I knew it was right below me but I was too afraid to bend over for a look. It abruptly leaped onto the counter top, and my heart leaped in my chest. This abhorrence was even more sickening close up. Those segmented legs were spread out perhaps two feet across, and I saw a cluster of eyes on the front of that slender body. They were tiny and black, reflecting the light, unblinking in its incessant stare.
For a moment, I was at a loss as to what to do.
I had no time to think further; the thing reared up, raising its despicable legs in a commotion of ungodly flesh, revealing the slender underbody. It abruptly split open vertically, and a thin maw opened, displaying tiny jagged teeth that normally would not have seemed too threatening, but considering the source it changed the circumstances.
I was almost shivering with fear, could not take flight, and by reflexes took control of this monstrous apparition. My hand holding the knife thrust forward, straight into the mouth of this insidious creation. The blade entered straight into its mouth, and a thick, black fluid flowed out of either side. As sickening as it was, I drew back the knife and struck again and again.
I stood holding the knife above the dead creature, my chest heaving, and sweat covering my brow. The black fluid that was its blood smeared the counter top. I could smell its dreadful odor as I reached for a rag under the counter and wiped the blade clean. I would leave the other mess for the time being. I ran back inside the house, wanting to know more, wanting more from the book. It was lying on my chair – funny, because I had left it on the end table. I sat to learn more, to learn how to save David.
I looked at the drawing he had made of the tunnel. It was normal, yet grotesque in its fashion. Below it was another paragraph from David:


By now you have seen the spiders – don’t ask me how I know, I just do. Now your mind is open it is time for you to enter the other dimension where I await you. Beware of the creatures that walk its halls. Arm yourself with the book! It will drive the small ones away, for sure, but it will take all your strength to push Cthulhu back into his world.
My friend, as I mentioned, I have discovered another dimension, another world. It is a world that The Great Old Ones do not want exposed to us, a world which we do not want to see, either. It is a malignant place, full of things that were here before us, before them, and as it did to me, I fear it may be do unto you.
Walk outside your house, and think of the spiders, think of me, and the tunnel will appear. As you walk along, ignore the small creatures that threaten you – they are harmless. Follow the tunnel sharply! Do not sway from its path! If you do, you will find the other place, and perhaps no way home. If you should decline this invitation, I will most surely understand. Remember, the book is your power…


I reasoned about this; I did not ask to be involved, and yet he knew I would be involved somehow.  David and I have such a close connection; this can be the only answer. He knew I would not abandon him. But just how did he get this volume printed? And how did he know it would end up in my hands?
Fear crept up my spine as a lithesome insect would, sending shivers along my limbs. I poured another brandy and tasted the sour tang of the amber fluid. I stared at the French door to the patio. I would go. I stood and straightened my coat, took a deep breath, and ventured outside.
There stood the greenhouse – the lights were still lit. I walked beyond the greenhouse into a darker part of the back and stood staring into the blackness. My thoughts turned to David, to the spiders, to his ordeal. I concentrated on all those swirling thoughts, and I saw a dim glow in front of me. Here was the cavern, baring itself finally to me. It was the mouth of Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment