Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Michael Shorde's The Lost Book - Part Seven

 I began to think I was inside a huge being itself. Alive, aware, and absorbing all the life it could from others. Was this the case?
Now, I cannot promise a true description of what happened, for it was all too surreal. As I was sure the dog-things were gone, I headed for the main chamber. Something grabbed my shoulders and yanked me back, turned me around; I was looking into the face of something indescribable, something I knew that human minds were not prepared for. I surely would have gone insane had David not prepared me.
I felt several pairs of arms grasp my body, yet I could not tell if they were arms or otherwise. This being sure was on the other side of the thin veil of sanity, and I sensed it knew this, and was trying not to inflict harm unto me. It released me, and I moved not, as it had anticipated.
I stared at the creature, trying to comprehend exactly what it was I was looking at. It leaned forward, its face changing all the while into different forms, and I felt it was searching for one I could understand. Finally, it did find one I could understand. I was staring at the face of…
David!
Its shape-shifting body continued to with its swift variants, too swift for me to focus on only one. David’s face whispered to me. “David told you not to come along this path. It would be dangerous.”
“Yes, he told me so, in the book,” I said, holding it out for the being to see.
“Lean forward,” the David face said, and I did as I was told.
Accept, accept. Let that special part of your mind accept what you see as reality, as did David’s.
I emerged as if from a dream, and the thing that stood before me was no longer shifting. It was showing me its true form. And yet, its true form was still something that the human mind would not understand for ages.
“I need to save my friend.”
“We know, and you will. It is why we empowered the book. It will not kill Cthulhu, but it will push him back long enough for you to free David. He is almost one of us now, and he must be the beginning.”
I started to comprehend. I spoke only with my mind. “Can you help me?”
“I cannot. We are not a violent race. The chain of life must take its proper course.”
“But he keeps you trapped in here!”
I sensed a smile, but could not see it. “We are not trapped in here. We stay here until we believe the time is right to expose ourselves, to help humans live again in peace. It is not up to us to stop the wrath of the Great Old Ones. It is up to you. To David.”
“But how do we do that? How do you expect two men to carry out this mission?” I spoke aloud, for I was frustrated. I was confused as to what it was I was supposed to do.
“Take David and he will show you. He has become as us, and you are becoming. Show me the book.”
I stretched out the book, and what I perceived to be hands took hold of it strongly, but not out of my grasp. A white light filled the book that we held between us, lit up the cavern, and I saw others standing around us as if in prayer. I feared not, my mind not confused; in fact, I felt gladness in my mind and heart. I knew all would be fine. I just needed to find David.
“And find him you will,” the being said, reading my thoughts. “I have empowered the book more so than I did with David. You will destroy creatures on your path, and we understand this is the way of humans as we know them now. We do not commend such acts, but realize it is the way to the future.”
I looked around at the tunnel, the flesh, and asked, “What is this? Where are we? This sure is no regular tunnel or path; it is more like a living being.”
The thing twisted, shifted, and said, “You are learning, Michael, for this is a living being. The living being.”
“But-”
“Go! Go now. The book is your power. There are the spiders and dog-things, and others you will encounter. Destroy them with the book. Or with that crude weapon you carry.” I felt behind me in my belt – the knife was still there. “Yes, we know about that. You are only trying to save your friend. He is our friend, too. Go!”
I opened my mouth to speak, but suddenly found myself back in the main cavern. I walked forward, unsure of what to expect in my quest to save David. I only knew it had to be done. My mind was adjusting, remembering: accept, accept. I lowered my face and moved onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment